Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Grandpa


Today was one of those days:) A day in the village that we didn't feel much was accomplished, turning down the wrong road making our hour and a half drive quite a bit longer, and getting hit with a rain storm, Kendall and I both agreed today is a day we need to be thankful for the little things. The little accomplishments. The rain, red dirt, Uncle Dick, paint in the hair, puddles, boda's that now have handle bars, paint thinner, childrens smiles, an opportunity to bring Gloria to the midwife....(soon to be baby), bathrooms, cabbage on bikes, and the list goes on. I am incredibly thankful that at the end of the day, a skype connection was able to happen and I could be present (via Skype) at my Grandfathers funeral. Chris is currently in Texas and he was also present via Skype. We praise God for this blessing and that we could even see my Grandma and parents prior to the funeral service starting.....all the way in Michigan. Below is a letter I wrote that was read by pastor shawn at the funeral service just a few hours ago. 





My Grandpa

Almost 15 years ago, behind his home, on a hill at the cemetery, we buried our first child. That day my grandpa smiled and said I will be joining him soon. He shared, “I will be buried right over there” as he pointed to a plot just a few steps away. Years passed.  He reached his goal of seeing our next child born, and the next, and the next and then our daughter who arrived home from Ethiopia, whom he taught her first English cheer leading words; “Go Blue”. Two years ago, my grandpa wrote our family a letter. He gave it to us as we left for ministry in Uganda.  It was a goodbye letter.  Not a letter of; I will see you when you return, but rather a letter that said; I will be seeing you in heaven someday.  To his and our surprise, a whole year later, we were blessed to see him again when we returned to the US!

 I am sure the Lord had many reasons in keeping my grandpa here on earth, so much longer than he thought. He knew there were many more people whose lives he needed to touch.  He knew my grandma needed him with her a few more years.  But there is another reason, a reason he was meant to stay here longer, so much longer than even the doctors thought possible.  It is because my children needed to know him.  They needed to see him greet them with a smile and a response that was always “Terrific” despite the daily struggles my grandpa had as his body weakened. They needed to hear him say he was ready to go, ready to be in heaven with Jesus. They needed to see him live and speak in such a way that told us this world was not his home, but there was something so much better ahead, something worth dying for. They needed to know a man of God who was completely ready to be at home; his real home. God gave him a little taste of this home during a near death experience many years ago. He was able to pass this hope on to us and onto our children and for that we are so thankful.

We are thankful for his determination and the way he fought to keep living life to the fullest. We are thankful for the many talks we had about his peace in dying. We are grateful for the encouraging words he has given us. We cherish his many words of wisdom and stories from his childhood. We are forever blessed by his testimony of his love for the Lord that was evident in his words and his life.

Thank you Jesus for my Grandpa. Thank you for letting him stay with us longer than what we thought was possible. Thank you that he is now basking in your love and your glory. May we all be ready as he was ready. May our lives also display through our words and our actions that this world is not our home, we are just passing through, getting ready to be where we are meant to be, with you Jesus! Please give him one last hug from all of us, until we meet again.

Written by: Michelle Fisher
(Chris and Michelle, Christian, Chloe, Trayton, Kidist, Josephine, and Noah Fisher)

No comments: